21 September 2010

"SantaFe Bandit," the Production Belt Buckle, and RMC Commander Face-to-Face

SWRMC,

My office has recently been burglarized by someone calling him/herself the “Santa Fe Bandit.” Let me give you a little background so that you can fully understand how important it is that we have the item in question returned. In 2005 SWRMC had over 20 million supply parts within our production shops totaling over $10 million. I challenged the production shops to reduce their inventory to $1 million or less. I didn’t think that it would happen so quickly, but Craig Cunningham and his team were able to successfully meet the challenge. As a reward (or in my case a punishment) I agreed to wear a “git ‘er done” belt buckle complete with two rhinestones. I admit that the challenge was sometimes too great. I didn’t wear it consistently throughout the day, and it was because of this that the self-proclaimed “Santa Fe Bandit” was able to prey upon my carelessness. I am upset that someone would have the audacity to breach my trust and enter my office without permission. Not only did someone enter my office and steal something but they are now taunting me with elusive photographs and writing, including a poorly written poem that I will quote here:

“J,
You agreed to keep me on
Thirty days is not so long
But you cheated that I know
So I’m leaving you like springtime snow
Around the command I’ll sneak a peek
And tell all the stories that haven’t yet been leaked
I’ll send my stories to my POCs
Of all the cool things that SWRMC does that I see
This is a wake-up call
Make sure you look in places all

Yours truly,
SantaFe Bandit”

This disturbing poem was accompanied by this picture below, which was scanned by the Business Office:








I would urge all in the Command to be on the lookout for this buckle. I am prepared to offer a reward for anyone who has any information leading to its return. I still have a challenge to meet despite my initial reluctance to consistently fulfill the terms of the agreement between myself and Craig Cunningham. The reward will be determined given how effective the information is to the successful return of the buckle.


Also, whoever stole it should just return it.

In additin to the news of the missing buckle, Captain Wiegand and I are off-site this week attending the RMC Commander face to face. I will provide an update on what we accomplished this week in my next blog. I do need to inform the Command that the mission of the Regional Maintenance Commands have the highest level of attention, which is a great thing. Our Active Duty population will be increased in the next few years by over 100 sailors. This is a direct result of our ability to show Navy Leadership that we can provide valuable shore duty to our brave service members in our production department. I want to thank everyone in our Production Department and our Production Department Department Head Mr. John Robinson.

Also, Crystal S DeFelice, a SWRMC Lead Auditor/QAS in our code 240, has provided a picture view of what Captain Wiegand described as our goals for the Command. Thank you Crystal for taking the time to help.







Our civilian population in Fleet Technical Support and Waterfront Operations Departments will also be increased in the next two years to continue to meet our mission. In the next year we are being tasked to provide a clear understanding of the material condition of six ships. SWRMC needs to show that this investment of additional civilians will make a difference, and I am sure we will do just that. I will expand upon what this challenge is in my next blog as well.

I want to recognize the efforts of our Contracts, Waterfront Operations, and our Finance Departments for their efforts on the end of year actions. This next week will be challenging, but SWRMC has exceeded $1 BILLION on surface ship maintenance this year. To put this in context we have never exceeded $650 million in the past. Next week I will let everyone know the final amount, but for now I recognize and am amazed of our Command.



Sincerely,
Jim Achenbach
Executive Director, SWRMC

No comments: